Skip to main content

Helau and Alaaf: Carnival is coming!

Today is an important day to all who are into carnival. In Germany (and maybe elsewhere as well), 11.11 at 11.11 a.m. is the kick-off of the carnival season, the so-called "fifth season," which ends on Ash Wednesday, which - in 2024 - happens to be on Valentin's day. What a cosmic concidence !!!


Carnival, as you know, is a large dress-up as somebody or something else party and doing crazy things. Hence, today is a perfect day for Franziska to resurface, even though I doubt that there will be many carnevalists out in Frankfurt today and I hope that Franziska will be anything but viewed as one of them. In any case, Franziska is getting ready for a day out and about at that very moment this post is published.


I still owe you a posting on Franziska’s year-end 2022 evening as her brunette self. After an enjoyable day out and about in Frankfurt, Franziska headed home to get ready for the evening. From downtown Frankfurt that is just a 20-minute walk or a 5-minute ride on the e-scooter along the river. A change of outfit into this wonderful glittery golden calf-length dress and some touch-up on the makeup, a dash of perfume, and off she went to “Alte Oper” to see – a real classic – Andrew Lloyd Webber‘s “CATS.”


Portrait of the evening



very funny thing happened on the way to “Alte Oper.” I had called a taxi to pick me up at home. Shortly before the expected arrival, I left the house to wait downstairs, when I noticed on the taxi app that the one reserved for me was still far, far away from where I was. A quick call to the taxi hotline and another one was on the way. That one took a wrong turn towards out-of-town. I called the hotline again – it was getting tight to still make it on time for the show – and cancelled the taxi. While I was trying to secure an Uber ride on my app, a taxi stopped – unnoticed and unexpectedly – right in front of me and the driver said out of the blue: “Madam, did you order a taxi?” Thrown off guard, still preoccupied with my cellular phone and my Uber app, and being slightly unnerved at that time, I said to the taxi driver in my deepest MALE voice and with an irritated tone, “YEAH – but half an hour ago !!!”


I got in the taxi. I explained to the young and handsome Muslim driver why I was dressed that way and why I was irritated. We shared a good laugh. I apologized to him for my aggressive tone and we had a nice chat on the way to “Alte Oper.”



A familiar sight to my regular readers: my pre-ordered glass of wine and sparking water at intermission, next to the little card, stating that this table is reserved for “Franziska.”


 

Comments

  1. I can't believe that carnival starts now in Germany! In Southern Europe at least it's a week in February. But I realise this is a tongue-in.cheek name. Have fun whatever you do. Very nice photos. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, Thanks for your comment. In those places where Carnival is popular, such as Cologne, Düsseldorf and Mainz, sessions (indoor dress-up parties with live music, singing, drinking, and dancing) run for 3 months between 11.11 and ash wednesday. I had an enjoybale day out and about, which ended - no surprise - at a wine bar. Love, Franzi

      Delete
  2. Ja, eigentlich hätte ich mir für den 11.11. auch etwas vorgenommen - aber -brauche ich ja nicht extra - ich (ver)kleide mich ja häufiger und wechsle ins Enfemmesein. Ja, so ein Opernbesuch enfemme, das wäre auch was- aber hier bei uns - da macht meine Liebste nicht mit. Schönes Outfit -und nette Geschichte mit dem Taxi.
    Alles Liebe
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Violetta, vielen Dank für Deinen Kommentar. Es scheint, dass Du viel häufiger als ich die Gelegenheit zum enfemmerausgehen findest. Vielleicht musst Du doch mal in eine ferne Stadt verreisen, um ins Theater oder die Oper gehen zu können. Liebe Grüße, Franzi

      Delete

Post a Comment