Skip to main content

Retrospection – One of my dearest cute summer dresses

We are still in the retrospective mode here, looking at June 2018. I want to build some tension for the newer stuff from the second half of 2023, to follow in a couple of weeks. And we are still in this period of my life where I worked and lived elsewhere during the week, allowing me to enjoy more frequent but shorter outings on weeknights.


Portraits of the evening


A very cute dress that I bought this evening, which I still own, but which I unfortunately very rarely wear. And black sandals go with almost anything, as most of you know.


That is the post title subject. I love this dress and I try to wear it at least once every summer. The last time you have seen it, was during my 2023 weekend trip to Cologne, which of course was years after this occasion here in 2018.


And guess what, in this city they had a large department store (and still have, which is not a given in many cities), and guess again, that store had (and still has) sort of a Champagne bar. And as we all know, Franzi is magically attracted by such places.


Languages evolve, as you know. The German language has produced the term “Proseccolerche” (Prosecco lark, Alaudidae puxinum) that refers to a type of woman that tends get gather in groups of three to 12, resulting in deafening sounds at night, evoked by excessive consumption of sparkling wine. A radio comedy (Wer piept denn da? Die Proseccolerche) that came up some 15 years ago and that ran on numerous stations, proved to be hugely popular. I want to explicitly state that Franziska does NOT fall in this category, though --- probably for lack of occasion.

Comments

  1. Nice photos of a lady in pretty dresses. It's why transgender blogs are the best!

    I'm curious about the Proseccolerche concept. In English culture, the lark is a bird that has always been associated with the beginnings of the day, never the end (which is for the owl). Drinking prosecco at dawn sounds like a serious alcohol problem! Maybe German has no such association, or it's just that the prosecco larks make a lot of noise, like the bird does. Sorry about my curiosity, but a linguist like me can't help noticing these things! Anyway, cheers!

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, Thanks for your comment and compliment. You are too analytical. The radio comedy was based on using birds (or words that sound like a bird genus) to describe certain noteworthy human behaviours. Other examples are Bolzplatzkrähe (football ground crow), Heckenkuckuck (hedge cuckoo), and Handybrüllmeise (mobile phone blare tomtit). Most popular remains to be Proseccolerche, though and it has become an active German word. I hope you liked my pairing of genus and species. Love, Franzi

      Delete

Post a Comment